top of page

How do I adjust my status as an immigrant in the USA?

If you are a foreign national who is currently living in the United States, you may be eligible to adjust your immigration status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) if you meet certain requirements. Here are the steps to adjust your status:

  1. Determine if you are eligible to adjust your status. In order to adjust your status, you must have entered the United States legally and must be eligible for a green card based on your current immigration status and the category under which you are applying.

  2. File Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form must be accompanied by supporting documents, such as proof of your current immigration status and eligibility for a green card.

  3. Pay the required application and biometric fees. The fees for adjusting your status vary depending on your age and the category under which you are applying.

  4. Attend a biometric services appointment. After your Form I-485 is received by USCIS, you will be notified to attend a biometric services appointment at a local USCIS office. At this appointment, your fingerprints and photograph will be taken.

  5. Wait for a decision on your application. After your biometric services appointment, USCIS will review your Form I-485 and supporting documents to determine if you are eligible to adjust your status. This process can take several months.

  6. If your application is approved, you will receive a green card in the mail. Congratulations, you are now a lawful permanent resident of the United States!

It's important to note that the process of adjusting your status can be complex and time-consuming, and it's important to carefully review the requirements and instructions before submitting your application. If you have any doubts or questions, it's recommended to consult with an experienced immigration attorney for assistance. At Zubkoff Law, we are very experienced in this process and happy to help every step of the way!

21 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

What is the 90 Day Fiance TV show?

The 90 Day Fiance TV show is a popular reality series that follows couples who have applied for a K-1 visa, which allows foreign nationals to come to the United States to marry their American partners

Should I hire a virtual attorney?

With the rise of technology and the increasing flexibility of the legal profession, many people are now turning to virtual attorneys for their legal needs. But what exactly is a virtual attorney, and

How do I pick the right immigration attorney?

Choosing the right immigration attorney can make a big difference in the success of your case. Here are a few tips to help you pick a good immigration attorney: Look for someone with experience and ex


bottom of page