top of page

What are the steps to get a k1 Visa?

The K1 visa, also known as the Fiancé(e) Visa, is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign national to enter the United States in order to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of arrival. If you are a U.S. citizen planning to marry a foreign national, here are the steps to help your fiancé(e) obtain a K1 visa:

  1. File a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) using Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). This petition must include evidence of your relationship, such as photos, emails, and other documentation.

  2. Once the petition is approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. The NVC will contact your fiancé(e) and instruct them on how to apply for the K1 visa.

  3. Your fiancé(e) will need to complete the online DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and pay the visa application fee. They will also need to provide proof of their eligibility for the K1 visa, such as a police clearance certificate and evidence of their relationship with you.

  4. After the DS-160 is submitted, your fiancé(e) will need to schedule an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. During the interview, a consular officer will determine their eligibility for the K1 visa.

  5. If the consular officer approves the K1 visa, your fiancé(e) will be required to pay a visa issuance fee and undergo a medical examination. Once these steps are completed, their visa will be issued and they can travel to the United States to marry you.

It's important to note that a K1 visa is only valid for 90 days, so it's crucial that your fiancé(e) arrives in the United States and marries you within that time frame. After the marriage, your spouse can apply for a green card to become a permanent resident of the United States.

Overall, the process of obtaining a K1 visa can be complex and time-consuming, but with careful planning and attention to detail, you can help your foreign national fiancé(e) successfully obtain the visa and join you in the United States.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

What is the 90 Day Fiance TV show?

The 90 Day Fiance TV show is a popular reality series that follows couples who have applied for a K-1 visa, which allows foreign nationals to come to the United States to marry their American partners

Should I hire a virtual attorney?

With the rise of technology and the increasing flexibility of the legal profession, many people are now turning to virtual attorneys for their legal needs. But what exactly is a virtual attorney, and

How do I pick the right immigration attorney?

Choosing the right immigration attorney can make a big difference in the success of your case. Here are a few tips to help you pick a good immigration attorney: Look for someone with experience and ex


bottom of page